Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Ravelry - my new hero

As a crochet pattern designer, I began using Ravelry for my pattern sales.  I had several customers ask me if I would put them on Ravelry, so I decided to do so.  Since then, all of my patterns are available through http://www.ravelry.com/.  Little did I know that this move was going to save me.

I also started buying patterns, almost exclusively, through Ravelry because they allowed for me to "gift" a pattern to someone else.  And what better gift is there for a fellow crocheter than yarn and a  pattern???  Although I don't often use other people's patterns, I do buy them just in case I get in a designing funk -- it does happen.

So, last month, my computer's power button died - at least that is the current diagnosis.  Although I have attempted to replace the power button, I have not found a suitable replacement.  I know enough about electronics and computer hardware to be dangerous, not effective.   So, all of my own designs and every pattern I had purchased became inaccessible to me.  I was totally panicked.

Popsicle Kozie from Kidz.At.Heart.Krochet
Pattern available at Ravelry:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/popsicle-kozie

I needed to look at one of my own patterns to be able to answer a customer's question.  I didn't know what to do.  Just out of desperation, I went to ravelry, and sure enough I could download my own designs.  Everything that had been released was right there at my fingertips.


And imagine my surprise when I attempted to purchase a pattern I knew I had lost on the old computer, Ravelry let me know it was already in my library.  I went to my library and WOW was I shocked.  I could not replace all that was lost, but I was able to replace a LOT of patterns.

So, if you haven't tried ravelry - give it a try.  You will not be disappointed!   This is one convert that won't ever go back.  If you want me to buy your pattern, make it available through Ravelry!!!



















All of my patterns can be found here: http://www.ravelry.com/designers/valorie-fischer

No comments:

Post a Comment